About two weeks ago, I upgraded to the new BlackBerry Torch touch screen / slider from the first generation Bold. The roller ball was getting a little balky at times, and I was eligible for an upgrade. Plus I needed to get the gals new phones, so it was off to the AT&T store.
I'm not an Apple person. There's no way I would go iPhone. Especially since I ride the L every day, and see way too many people sporting the "cracked screen app". The iPhone may look nice, but it is WAY TO FRAGILE for me. I want something that isn't going to shatter right off.
But enough slagging, on to my Torch review:
But first, I must say, "Yes", that is my Torch, that is my chair, and that is the background I always use.
- It's a Blackberry. It feels like a 'berry. It works like a 'berry. It's a 'berry.
- The new browser – It does a much better job rendering web pages than the previous incarnation. On the Storm, I couldn't really display my blog's format. The torch handles web pages much better.
- Battery life – At least for now, I'm getting a full day out of the charge.
- Optical track-pad – A massive improvement over the track-ball, except it isn't as precise at times, which makes it harder to play Brickbreaker.
- Camera – The camera on the new phone is a vast improvement.
- While I wouldn't describe it as "loose", and the slider action feels smooth and sturdy, when slid out, there seems to be just a little bit of "play" in the top when it's slid out. I'm keeping an eye on it, though.
- It's a touch screen, so there's ALWAYS fingerprints on the screen.
- It's a touch screen, and I have decent sized fingers, so I really can't use the touch screen for typing. (Good thing it has a regular keyboard, too.) But, it does make the bonus rounds in Word Mole awesome.
- Size – It's just a touch smaller than the Bold. I have have decent sized hands, so I don't need "smaller".
- Micro-USB – I've got mini-USB chords and chargers coming out my ears. Gotta either replace them, or find an adapter* to carry in my bag.
- Case** – There was no case included in the box.
All in all, I'm very happy with it. Will probably take it in (there's an AT&T center across the street from where I work) to check on the wiggle in the lid, but otherwise, it's more than just a minor upgrade, this is a nice next generation device. If you're a BlackBerry user & AT&T customer, your should seriously consider this, if you haven't already.
* Radio Shack has a nice little converter plug. Bought 2.
** I also solved the case issue. Seidio made the clip that I used on my Bold. While due to size differences, it wouldn't fit, they just put out their clip for the Torch. My new one arrived in the mail late last week.