2015-12-21

Windows Live Writer Is Dead–Open Live Writer

Windows-Live-WriterSo, I was creating our 2015 update for my Christmas Letter blog.  I had been working on it for weeks.  Cora sent me her text and pictures, go everything layed out just right, and went to publish it to blogger, and got an error. [Not Found]

Tried again.  Same error. [Not Found]

A quick Google search lead me an article that, apparently Google updated their authentification API, Windows chose not to update Live Writer, so there we were.  The two apps won’t talk anymore.

That occurred 2 FREAKIN’ DAYS before I tried to post my Christmas Letter.

PANIC! (not at the disco)  I’ve been using and pimping WLW since 2009, and this is the moment it decides to betray me?

We’d already mailed out our Christmas letters with the link to the site.  We HAD to get this letter posted.  Bitting the bullet, I pasted the post into Blogger’s web editor.  And felt sick.  I changed the fonts all up.  Some was big.  Some was small.  It wouldn’t scale the picutres like I wanted to.  And it freaked out when I put two spaces after the period at the end of a sentence.  It took over an hour to get a passible version loaded up.


Open-Live-Writer

While all the above drama was going on, I was routed to a fork of Windows Live Writer called “Open Live Writer”.  I downloaded it that night, but they didn’t have it working that night.  Now it appears to be working.

I’m writing this post on it.  So far, so good.  Can’t really see much of a difference so far.  Well, except for the fact that it works.

We’ll see how it posts out.

2 comments:

Scope said...

Oh, and it appears that Open Live Writer can't save your password when you are setting it up. Before you can post your first entry, you need to go to Blog Account > Account > Update Account Information... and re-enter your password.

Cora said...

The Google Overlords ruin everything.