So, by the time you are reading this, I've left to meet Cora and Wednesday out in Seattle* for the weekend. And then we are driving back to Chicago.
Originally, the plan was to rent a car, and drive back. Until we realized that it was bloody expensive to rent a car one way. It was going to cost about $1,300 for the 3 days. For the car. Then gas, food, lodging, etc. With the court case going on, we wanted to save a little money.
So we then looked into having someone ride with us in Cora's car (we've left hers out there for us to drive when we're out there) and then drive the car back. But that fell through.
Then we looked at Amtrak. While we wouldn't get the exact sightseeing we wanted to do, we would get to accomplish another goal of the trip. Wednesday's pet water frogs have been living with grandma since we moved, since they can't fly and you can't ship them.
Finally, we decided to just drive Cora's car back and sell it. When we go our there, we'll rent a car. Since we'll save $75 a month on insurance, we'll either break even or come out a little ahead.
Our planned route is on the map above. Basically, it's I-90. Virtually door to door. But there will be a few side-trips off the interstate and into the wild. We're going to take the better part of 4 days. It will be our quest.
- Yellowstone Park / Old Faithfull
- Mt. Rushmore
- Crazy Horse Memorial
- Wall Drug
- "The Badlands"
- The Corn Palace
On the bubble:
- Devils Tower [Link] – It's cool, but it's just a little out of the way, and and it might be dark when we're passing by. So, it may just be a "Close Encounter".
Unfortunately, the following stops, while they COULD be along our path, aren't.
- Little Big Horn National Battlefield National Monument [Link]
- Kenmare, ND High School Class Year Rocks. [Link]
- Rugby, ND (Geographic Center of North America) [Link]
Fortunately, the following stops, while they COULD be along our path, aren't.
Nor will this sight be seen along the way. :-(
* Okay, technically, I'm going to work, then flying out tonight. But I wanted to be DRAMATIC!