2011-11-23

Einstein's Puzzle

Einstein-01

Okay, there's no proof that Einstein created this puzzle, but that's what it's called. Face it, you're really not doing anything at work today besides watching the clock and waiting for the boss to let you go anyway, so here's a brain teaser for you. (Yes, you can Google the answer pretty easily, but there's no prize, so use your brains.)


Einstein's Puzzle

This was written by Einstein last century. He said that 98% of the people in the world could not solve it. Are you among the other 2%?

Facts:

  1. There are 5 houses in 5 different colors.
  2. In each house lives a different person with a different nationality.
  3. These five owners drink a certain beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigarette, and keep a certain pet.
  4. No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar, or drink the same drink.

Hints:

  1. The Brit. lives in a red house.
  2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
  3. The Dane drinks tea.
  4. The green house is on the left of the white house.
  5. The green house owner drinks coffee.
  6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
  7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
  8. The man living in the center house drinks milk.
  9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
  10. The man who smokes Blend lives next to the one who keeps cats.
  11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the one who smokes Dunhill.
  12. The owner who smokes Blue Master also drinks beer.
  13. The German smokes Prince.
  14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
  15. The man who smokes Blend has a neighbor who drinks water.

Question:

Who keeps the fish?



When I first got this puzzle, it took me a bit, but I solved it by the end of the day. (Hey, I was at work!) I'll give you solution on Monday. If you want, pull this out on your family this weekend while the Lions are getting creamed.

(Note: We all know Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes. Not the right answer.)

4 comments:

Cora said...

GOT IT!!!!

Joshua said...

I love puzzles like this. I'll get to it in a bit (I am, after all, supposed to be working).

Joshua said...

That was fun. Woke my brain up finally. Thanks!

So. Cal. Gal said...

It's late and I'm blonde, so I Googled it. My paternal side keeps the fish.