So, I haven't been blogging as much these days, but this summer, I totally let two big ones slip by. I didn't even realize I'd missed it until recently. The thing is, the kind of bookended my 3rd wedding anniversary, so I totally flaked.
25 years ago, July 1, 1988 – I moved to the Chicago area.
25 years ago, July 5, 1988 – I started my first real job working for Arthur Andersen.
I still remember the move up:
- Hot as blazes, hauling my stuff up to a 3rd floor walkup.
- I moved everything up in a pickup truck and hatchback (now it would take 2 moving trucks)
- I had a 9" color TV, a C-64, a king sized waterbed, and 3 suits.
- Having to go to the gas station to use the payphone.
- The radio station, 97X, was doing a stunt called "Topless Weather" from their rooftop ("Tar Beach") with a buxom listener going to the edge of the roof, and reading the weather.
I still remember those first days of work:
- Hot as blazes, heading downtown in my suit and tie.
- Living of Patio frozen burritos and Lean Cuisines.
- Not knowing a soul at the office.
- Losing my wallet and train pass (link).
Life's really changed tons since those days. It's seems like yesterday, but it was really half a lifetime ago. The best part about being that guy at that time? Those times and those experiences led me to where I am today. And if I knew then where I'd be now, the then me would be stoked.
And I would tell him to buy Apple stock @ under $10.00 a share.