2012-06-25

Like the car?

So, the family and I (and by "family" I mean my Mom, Dad, Sister, Brother-In-Law, Niece, Nephew, Nephew's Girlfriend, Cora and The Daughter) all spent a week together for my parent's 50 Wedding Anniversary out in Huron, Ohio.  Their actual anniversary was in January, but Mom wanted us all to vacation together as a family for a week together.

On the second night we were out there, we were having dinner at a restaurant, and I called the waitress over to ask her a question.

Milan-01

SCOPE - "There's a town south of here called 'M-I-L-A-N'.  How do you pronounce it?"

WAITRESS – " 'MY-lin'."

SCOPE - "Oh, that's how we pronounce the name of the city in Illinois, too.  But I was wondering if you pronounced it 'Mi-lan'…

WAITRESS - "You mean like the car?"

SCOPE (pokerfaced) - "Yes, like the car."

Not the city in Italy, people.  The thing that spring to her mind was the discontinued Mercury Milan.  I cried a little inside.

6 comments:

Cora said...

Well, at least she didn't say "you mean like the People's Court judge?" See, it could be worse. Right? ;-)

SkylersDad said...

You did well with the poker face, I would not have handled that as good as you.

So. Cal. Gal said...

There's a 'Milan' car? Have I been living under a rock?

Anonymous said...

It's like DeKalb (De-Cab) County in Illinois vs. DeKalb (De-Cal-b) County here in Georgia. That drives me NUTS. Or Lafayette, WI, (La-fay-ette) versus Lafayette (Luh-fay-ette), GA.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

I'm with So Cal Girl.

We must live under the same rock.

Scope said...

Cora - Wapner? :-)

Skydad - I almost hurt myself

So Cal & Candy - You need to stop fast forwarding thru the commercials. But being a Mercury, it was killed off a few years ago.

Joshua - I'm from LaFayette, IL. That's "Lay-FEE-ette"