As you all know, I can be a bit of an idiot when it comes to certain things. I am such a "process and procedure" engineering type, and I want the to know how others have tackled a specific problem, so I can gather the info, analyze it, and make my plans and contingency plans.
So, that's why I'm going to ask you for your advice on a purely HYPOTHETICAL situation:
How do you buy an engagement ring?
- Did he have a ring when he proposed?
- Did you have any input on the rings (engagement / wedding)?
- If not, do you wish you had?
- If so, did you go with him when he actually made the purchase?
- Did you just give him guidelines on styles? Cut? Gold vs. sliver vs. platinum? I really like "Carol's ring", etc.?
- Off the shelf? Custom designed? Vintage (but not pawn shop)?
- Set or separates?
- Did you have a ring when you proposed?
- Did you involve your lady in picking out the ring?
- If no, did you take a trusted female (sister, cousin, etc.)?
- Did you ask her friends?
- Did you take her browsing, but then you made the final purchase?
- Did you just roll the dice?
- Does your wedding ring match hers?
- Did you follow the "2 month rule"?
See? HYPOTHETICALLY, I'll be buying Cora something that she will be wearing on her hand for the rest of her life. It seems a bit presumptuous of me to make that kind of decision without her input.
I know what you may be thinking, "Dude, she reads your blog!" Yes, she does. And while I may be an idiot, I'm not THAT big of an idiot.
I used the word "HYPOTHETICALLY" to TOTALLY throw her off the scent. Gee-whiz.
One more question: When you reach that stage where you are openly talking about shopping for engagement rings while absentmindedly rubbing the spot on her hand where said ring would go, but you haven't TECHNICALLY proposed yet, is there a name for that stage? Would that be "pre-engaged"?
Just some random thoughts I've been having.
So, what's been on your mind recently?