2009-05-14

Who's The Master? Sho-Nuff!

Since Sass requested a story explaining the picture I ran this last week [LINK], and I saw him again on Tuesday, here's a little bit of fiction for ya.

==========================================================

My name is Mikhail. Are you looking at me?

In my home country, I was an engineer at a nuclear power plant. Here, I am an electrician / handyman for a small theatre company, Barrel of Monkeys.  My old friend, Anton, back in Kazakhstan thinks I should feel humiliated and humbled.  Actually, I love my job and I love my new country.  I feel like young boy.

The young people at the theatre company are very nice to work with, for the most part.  One or two are not so nice to me.  But they are not so nice to anyone except if they think they can use them to get ahead.  The others tell me I remind them of their grandfathers.  They are always happy and surprised when I can fix their broken electronics for them. 

I worked on nuclear reactors. 

A worn electric motor in a DVD player does not frighten me.

Their pet name for me is "The Master."  I like that.  When I was out shopping with my little Mischa last weekend at the second hand shops on Lincoln, he found this lunch box.  He jumped up and down and clapped.  "Grandpa, this is you.  The Master of the Universe."  So I bought the lunch box to use as my tool box at the theater.  I hope my other "grandchildren" think it's funny, too.

==========================================================

FYI – While my story of "Mikhail" comes from my fevered brain, the Barrel of Monkeys is a theater group in Chicago that takes creative writing of kids and turns them into plays and skits and songs.  And one of my co-workers is marrying a cast member at the end of the month, so I thought I'd give them a shout out.

9 comments:

Cora said...

Kazakhstan, huh? See, now all I can do is imagine him as an aged Borat singing....

Kazakhstan greatest country in the world.
All other countries are run by little girls.
Kazakhstan number one exporter of potassium.
Other countries have inferior potassium.

Kazakhstan home of Tinshein swimming pool.
It’s length thirty meter and width six meter.
Filtration system a marvel to behold.
It remove 80 percent of human solid waste....

Etc, etc, etc.

Bravo on scoring a second picture, Scope! He's even looking at the camera this time. Cool!!

Srg said...

I hope I'm not the only one who read that entire post with the "Borat" accent that's in my head! Especially the sentence "I feel like young boy."

Sass said...

When I first saw the picture, I had a little story all figured out in my head about it somehow involving his grandson.

Love it Scope. So sweet.

Soda and Candy said...

Love it! Great story.

Fancy Schmancy said...

That was awesome! Next time you see him, you should share it with him. I'm sure that some guy coming up to him on the train and telling him that he made up a story in his head about him to share with his internet friends won't worry him, at all!

J.J. in L.A. said...

He probably thinks he has a stalker now.

Nej said...

As his tool box. Perfect, just perfect!!!!!!!! :-)

Nessa said...

Tres creative!!

~E said...

You've got a lot of little story things jiggling around in your brain don't you?

yep...