2009-07-02

Cora – Meet the Parents

Sunday we did not have as much time to lounge around as we did Saturday.  It was "Meet the Parents" Day.PANICAfter calling my parents to confirm the meeting time, Cora and I once again piled in the car and hit the road.  My parents live in another part of the state, and it's about a 3 hour drive.  We chose a meeting place with good food and that was about 1:15 for me and 1:45 for them.

We pulled in to R Place about 10:00, and parked right behind my parent's van.  Time to face the music.

I had finally disclosed to my parents how Cora and I met through blogging and not through a dating site.  Had to come clean before the big intro.  It was going to come out eventually.

Mom and Dad were already sitting in a corner booth when we got there.  The meeting went well.  Mom didn't ask any questions I was dreading and Dad behaved.  We talked about Cora, and her life, but mom also filled me in on family news, etc.  All-in-all not nearly as scary as I was afreaded it would be.  After breakfast, we all took a walk around Wal-Mart, because that's what you do in rural Illinois to pass the time.


When we got back to my place, Cora and I crashed out for a couple of hours, and then headed down to the Taste of Chicago, our annual 4th of July food fest.  (It runs for 10 days surrounding the 4th.)  The crowd was decent, even though there were a lot fewer vendor than in past years.  I really enjoyed the alligator sausage.  Cora was able to sample the Ricobene's Breaded Steak Sandwich that I mentioned HERE.  (FYI – If you Google Image Search "ricobene's breaded steak sandwich", that post is the 5th link on the page.  I'm just saying.)  But I think her favorite was the Eli's cheese cake.

And then came the trip home…

16 comments:

Sass said...

I'm imagining people chuckling when they read the WalMart thing, but I'm here to testify...when you're done with lunch/dinner/whatever, and you wanna pass some time...in small town Illinois, you go to WalMart.

Or FartMart, as I call it.

*sigh*

mo.stoneskin said...

"took a walk around Wal-Mart, because that's what you do in rural Illinois to pass the time"

*rules out Illinois on list of potential places to live*

Cora said...

Tee hee hee.... Love the panic button, Scope. Doesn't that just say it all? :-)

But, panic and nervousness aside, your parents are lovely and I'm really glad I met them!! (Although I sooooooooo blame them for this newfound Sudoku addiction I've acquired....)

And I have NEVER in my life seen a Walmart NOT packed to bursting with people on a weekend ~ we could walk through the aisles and everything.... It was like being on Mars! Weird.

Cowguy said...

Meeting the parents is always a terse moment, glad it went well and yeah... the Walmart walk. It happens in Missouri too.

MJenks said...

My parents still think we met in Hesbergh library. It's kind of a joke now, what with the meeting through a personal ad on a dating site and all. Every time my mother complains about how dumb it is to meet through personal ads or through the internet, we just smile and chuckle.

Glad the meeting went well. When Boudicca met my parents, she got regaled for hours about every fart story that had ever happened the history of the clan.

Scope said...

Mjenks - Isn't it funny how the dating website WAS our cover story? How things change in just a few years.

Vodka Mom said...

and here all this time i didn't realize!!!!!!!!! You and Cora??????

Anonymous said...

Aww Meet the Parents always kinda scares me. My parents are kinda weird though. I try to keep people from meeting them until I KNOW I want long term things with them. Saves on therapy.

Scope said...

Vodka Mom - We try to keep it on the "down low" but sometimes it slips out.

Nikki - I did kind of wait until I knew I wanted a long term relationship with the person. Actually, I knew it a few months ago, but with the 2,000 mile thing...

SkylersDad said...

I am just catching up, so you and Cora are an item? ;^)

Anonymous said...

WalMart would have been scarier than meeting the parents, I'm just saying.

J.J. in L.A. said...

"Cora and I crashed out for a couple of hours"

Is that what you kids are calling it these days? ; )

My man and I met when he answered my Yahoo Personals ad...and I'll tell anyone who asks. It worked!

AlbuqwirkE said...

"another part of the state"... I believe that is a more than generous description!

Fancy Schmancy said...

I'm so glad "meet the parents" went well, but I'm thinking if you really wanted to impress Cora you would have gotten that 2 pound burger and eaten it in less than an hour for free!

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

I love the panic button! I grew up in rural Ohio...I totally get the whole Walmart thingy....

ShanaM said...

Glad it went well !!!!