2009-06-01

My Weak End of the Bargain - I

Gwen, from Everything I Like Causes Cancer is turning the big 40 this week.  Saturday night was her party.  I drove down from Chicago to St. Louis for it.  (In fact, at least this section of the blog entry is being composed in her living room while she's getting ready for Sunday brunch.)

The drive was fairly uneventful.  Cora brought me the Harry Potter books on CD, so I've worked my way 50% of the way through the first book on the drive down.  I will finish it this afternoon as I roll through the heart of Illinois.  I thought of Sass as I rolled past her house.  And I talked to Lisa, the Butterfly Farmer.  It was a bloggy influenced drive.

As I neared St. Louis, I called a friend of mine from college, who I have know for 25 years.  She's been married for a couple of years now, and I'd never met her husband.  They were out shopping and we met up at Border's.  It was good to see her again and he seemed like a nice guy.  We chatted for about an hour, but then both needed to het the road.

I met up with Gwen at her house.  We had a relaxing Gwen-tini on her front porch and chatted a while.  I gave Gwen her card and presents.  I was asked and offered my advice on her wardrobe for the evening.  I provided my honest opinions, which where ignored.  (It was over which belt to wear, so it didn't really matter too much.)  Shortly, H showed up and drove us to the party at Gwen's friends' house.

And party?  Awesome, but that's her story to tell, so I will be sending off my pictures to her, so that she can tell it, once I shrink them to a mail-able size.

But, tomorrow, I will be telling a bit of my side of the story, called, "Be Careful About Bringing Legal Moonshine To A Party."

9 comments:

J.J. in L.A. said...

Why is it always 'seemed like a nice guy' when one guy is describing another? ; ) I've never 'seemed like a nice girl' to another girl. lol!

Anonymous said...

next time im in chicago i expect to meet u

Fancy Schmancy said...

You are so lucky to have experienced that!

Cora said...

Oh God, Gwen is gorgeous!!!! Love that vintage dress!

Looking forward to part 2 tomorrow, of course. Can't imagine what went awry with your "legal moonshine".... but I'm sure it'll be a great tale! So, until then, I'll just wait here hanging on the cliff.

And as for the quick hits, awwwwwww. I was wishing the same thing as my alarm clock was screaming at me to get up this morning. Stupid overrated Reality. *grumble, grumble*

mo.stoneskin said...

Roll? Traffic bad?

Morgan the Muse said...

Sounds like a good weekend, so far..

SkylersDad said...

I am so envious of you getting to meet other bloggers!

Gwen said...

You dear, sweet man! You went sooooo overboard! (But I love all of it. I wore my bracelet today and found a kick-ass messenger bag in the alley by my garage. That thing totally works on bad ju-ju.)

Another card arrived today and it's as awesome as the first three!

Lisa said...

I didn't interrupt the books on CD did I?

Your drive was a bit less stressful than the one I was on at the time. LOL.

I was definitely freaking out a bit...

It's cool how bloggy world created such an eventful weekend. :)