2011-02-07

The New Normal – Food

As a bachelor living on his own for 20+ years, you might say, I had some… habits… routines. You know what I mean. Since getting married, some of them have started to change.

Like food:

Out-Of-The-Gene-Pool
That kind of describes my life pre-marriage. I could go 2 or 3 months without doing any serious grocery shopping. I mean, I ate breakfast @ McDonald's 3 times a week, ate out for lunch weekdays, and dinner out 4 or 5 times a week. What did I need food for? I needed pop, pasta, sauce. Maybe some hot dogs.

Now-a-days, I look into the fridge, and see bizarre things:

  • Eggs – I have undead chickens in my fridge!
  • Milk – Not only does the milk not resemble cottage cheese like it used to, there is a gallon of blue stuff called "skin milk" or "skim milk" or something. And there there's the "1% milk". (I wonder what the other 99% is?)
  • Fruit – I have deconstructed cans of fruit salad sitting around in it's natural state. What's up with that.
  • Cereal – Special K Red Berry, Honey Nut Cheerio's, Rice Chex, Fruit Loops (for the step daughter) and oatmeal. Well, I guess that explains the milk.
  • Frozen Vegetables – The closest I used to come to having vegetables on hand was a can of Le Sueur Peas in the cabinet.

And I'm eating meals at home. At the dinning room table. Talking to other human beings.

Man, that's so cool.

5 comments:

Cora said...

And don't forget the bags and bags and bags of chocolate! :-)

Shana said...

My Guy says the same thing since he moved in with me!!!!

J.J. in L.A. said...

We eat at 6 pm. On. The. Dot. Doesn't matter if I'm not hungry. But when she's out of town, I go crazy and eat at 7.

J.J. in L.A. said...

Oh yeah! And she buys bananas, oranges, apples, and grapes every Wednesday...for 2 people.

Jan @ Struck by Serendipity said...

haha, I def relate! I eat 3 meals a day from the cafeteria at work during the week. It's delicious, convenient & subsidized...can it get any better than that?