2014-04-21

Let's Talk For A Minnow

Many days when I go to work, I pass this sign:

Minnow-02

Newton Minow.

Former Chairman of the FCC under Kennedy, who gave the famous "Vast Wasteland" speech back in 1961:


When television is good, nothing — not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers — nothing is better. But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite each of you to sit down in front of your television set when your station goes on the air and stay there for a day without a book, without a magazine, without a newspaper, without a profit and loss sheet or a rating book to distract you. Keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland.


Nope?  Never heard of it?  Not a fan of 50 year old political speeches?  Neither was the TV producer Sherwood Schwartz.  Who named a boat after Newton.  You may recognize it.

Minnow-03

Minow also was in the paper recently.  A life long Democrat (besides the Kennedy connection, he's also known President Obama since at least 1988) recently went public with the fact that he was going to support a Republican for Illinois Governor this year [LINK].  (I can't really explain the shape that Illinois is in to you here, just imagine that ship up there without the comfy isle to rest on.)

But what does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

Minnow-01

Well, if you look at the building behind the sign, and follow the stop light pole up to the 11th floor (slightly out of the frame, I know), you will see the corner spot where my desk is.

I'll try to get a good picture of it and post it soon.

Hey, this regular blogging stuff is kind of fun.  Come on in, the water's great!

2 comments:

Cora said...

You make me want to start blogging regularly again. You make me forget how uncomfortable it got with the, um, change in audience. You make me realize how much I miss what it was. Maybe the time has come to jump back into the pool....

You make it look really good. :-)

Scope said...

Tomorrow will be 7 weekdays in a row. I haven't posted 7 times in a month since October 2012.