2010-04-28

Dream Police

I See Into Your Dreams

[Editor's Note: No – You're not dreaming, I'm also guest posting over @ Sassy Britch's blog today.  And if you are coming over from there, "Welcome."  I wrote about a dream on Monday.  While not a "Part 2", it is a follow-up to THIS post.]

I dream.  I dream a lot.  I don't remember my dreams most nights, but at least once a week I will.  Every once in a while, I will enter what I call an "active dream phase" where for about a week, I have 3 very vivid dreams a night that I remember bits of when I awake.

I love those times.

My dreams usually have a narrative, and mostly make some sort of sense, although there are always impossible things.  Like the dream where I was arguing with the people about how they were reporting on balance sheet numbers.  They were doing it like it was and income statement, only adding the 12 months together.  I was in their face about needing "bucket zero" as we called it, where you rolled last year's balance into the new year.  See, I haven't coded financials in 7 years, so I wouldn't be having this discussion at work.

I do not have recurring dreams, but I have recurring themes.  Not the traditional "falling" or "being chased" things either. More SCOPE than that!

You Can't Get There From Here – One recurring theme is that I need to get somewhere, but I can't.  The harder I try, the further I get away.  Like I need to get to work, but as I get on the train, it breaks down, so I hop on a bus, but it takes a wrong turn, the cab gets rerouted due to a detour, and I am further from my destination than when I left.  While these dreams are really frustrating, I do get to explore new, and totally made up sections of places I know, so that's kinda cool.

I Believe I Can Fly (Just Not Very Well) – I do have flying dreams, but in my dreams, I can't fly well.  It's not that I crash into stuff, or flap around like <- THAT <- dork.  No, I tend to just skim the ground.  So, I have to dodge around cars and stuff.  Eventually, I can get some decent air, but usually only a story or so up.  Once, my flying ability mutated.  Instead of being able to fly, I strapped joy buzzers to the bottom of my feet, and the the vibrations reduced friction, and I could skate upon them.

Sans a belt?  Sans Pants! – In my dreams, I'm often pantsless.  Never naked. Usually I have on a shirt, and most times I've even got unders on.  No junk swinging free.  But I'm out in public in a T-Shirt and boxers.  I can pull the shirt down to cover if I crouch, but then I have to duck walk and hide behind things to avoid being seen until I can get to where ever my pants are.  The dream always ends before I get tot he pants.  Always.

This would be my nightmare.

What about you?  Do you have any recurring dreams?  Themes?  Either write them in the comments, or take this as a meme and post the answer on your blog.

10 comments:

Cora said...

The one flying dream I recall having, I flew ASTOUNDINGLY well. In fact, I ended up having sex in mid-air while flying around. It was effing brilliant!

As for recurring themes..... uhhh.... well, I run a lot in my dreams because I'm often being chased or I'm frantically looking for something. And frequently I find Disney characters in my dreams for no damn reason. (I went grocery shopping with Cruella De Vil once. And I was Jack Sparrow once) (and, yeah, I'm sure that makes me very special.)

J.J. in L.A. said...

When I was in high school, I had recurring dreams that I wouldn't live to the ripe ol' age of 30. So when I turned 30, I was thrilled!

Of course, 1 1/2 months before I turned 30, I had the back surgery that put me in the wheelchair (MAJOR life-changing event).

mo.stoneskin said...

The t-shirt and boxers dream wasn't a dream mate. You were sleepwalking. I saw you getting into a cab.

Jan @ Struck by Serendipity said...

I'm jealous of your exciting dreams! The only dreams I ever remember are about work & occur when I'm really stressed. I'm literally working in my dreams. You can imagine how frustrating it is when I wake up and have to do it all over again for another 8 hours!

SkylersDad said...

My dreams never make any sense.

I heart FFD said...

I've had two recurring dreams in my life. I've had each dream two times.

In the first dream, I marry the Incredible Hulk. He's normal until partway through the ceremony and then he changes and everyone runs out of the church. The church has those old time swinging saloon doors and when we run out of them, we run into a ghost town looking place. The end.

The second one is far more complex and clearly is related to my daddy issues. Good times.

That being said, I still have the "today is the final for a class I didn't even know I was taking and I subsequently have never been to class" dream.

Lisa said...

OMG! i totally have those exact types of dreams sans the sans pants dream. i don't have many public nekkitness dreams. but the first couple.

maybe we need some flying lessons and a personal driver?

can it be figured out that simply?

JenJen said...

You dont' have pants on in my...

wait.
No.

You have a pants problem. And a gas one.

But? you are a crack up.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Hayyyy! This is good I'm going with it on Monday.

THe pants thing may be about exposing yourself, and I dont mean that in a flasher kind of way. I mean vulnerability. Make sense with what's going on in your life.

The never quite getting there?? Worries over your pending life changes...will you ever get there? When and why is it so hard?

Flying??? You'll be soaring soon dude, and the dreams will be gone.

Sassy Britches said...

Recurring theme: being in high school (but as the adult I am now), and one of two things go on: 1.) I haven't been to algebra class all year and suddenly I'm supposed to take the final, or 2.) I have to get to a certain classroom by a certain time, but I keep getting lost in the building, or I haven't actually picked up my schedule from the office in order to even know where my first class of the day IS--and it's thirty seconds until the bell.

V. stressful. Have them a lot.