2010-04-22

You're A Genuine Work of Art

Thursday was the day of 3 halves.  Just like a hockey match.

The first half was filled with the cleaning, organizing, etc.  The normal scramble of preparation when Cora is coming.  But amped up to 11 because because my future step daughter Gwen was coming along for her LAST visit to Chicago before she moves here in the summer.  I wanted to make sure everything was just right for her.  Ya know?

After a quick car wash to blast the bird shit off my car from it setting outside for 40 hours at my parents over Easter, it was off to the airport to get the girls from their flight due in at 1:00.


The second half of the day started when they got in. We got our welcome hugs and kisses in, grabbed their luggage off baggage claim (like, the third and fourth bags to pass by!), and then managed to get the car out of the parking garage in 58 minutes, so I didn't have to pay for an extra hour!

It was then off to get a not so quick bite before the three of us hit the Art Institute.  If you haven't ever been, you are probably still fairly familiar with many bits of the collection.  And but those aren't the bits I want to talk about.

DSC00924First though, we have to start off with a picture in front of the lion statues out front.  Everybody does it.  Here we are at the entrance. We decided to get our yearly membership on this trip so we could go back.  And, they have a rule that if you live over 100 miles away, you get 10% off.  We used Cora's PO box and saved some ca$h!

A couple of things that caught my eye:

The Rock by Peter Blume has a destruction side and a rebirth side,

DSC00944

and Coca-Cola is on the destruction side…

DSC00945

Speaking of "destruction" they have Ivan Albright's Picture of Dorian Gray from the movie.

DSC00942

Trust me the life size painting was pretty disturbing.

Regardez! Un singe! Et un chiot!
(Look!  A monkey! And a puppy!)

DSC00953

(Seurat's A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte.)

But, the middle half of the day was winding down and it was time to head out of the museum.  But we'll be back to tackle the Modern Wing soon!

DSC00960 (FYI – Unposed.  I was sneaky.)


The third half of the day was spent at my condo HOME.  We cooked a little supper, and I about pepper sprayed us out of the joint when the ground red pepper on my chicken turned aerosol started us all coughing.

But, after tasty, home cooked vittles (does microwaving Easy Mac count as "home cooked"?), we settled in on the sofa to watch "Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone".  I have tried to watch this movie, TWICE, at Cora's, and each time, we got to the scene with Hagrid delivering Harry's letter, and had to shut it off.  This time, we made it all the way through.

But then, it was time for the three half day to end.  After all, Friday was going to be a school day.

4 comments:

Cora said...

Blume is part of the Pepsi cult. Clearly. That's almost subliminal advertising there! I wonder if Coke knows....?

BeckEye said...

I already complained to Cora about you guys not taking a Ferris Bueller-esque photo inside. So I won't complain to you.

Yes I will.

Why didn't you do it, HUH, HUH, HUH??

mo.stoneskin said...

Bwahahaha.

That wasn't "bird shit", that was toothpaste spit, a drive-by hit 'n' run. Don't ask how I know.

I sort of imagine Cora and Gwen turning up and you answering the door covered in dust, toothpaste and breathing heavily.

Sassy Britches said...

I really dig your "becoming domesticated" stories! You three playing house (soon to NOT have to play!) makes me smile.