2010-08-09

Street Racing: It's A Drag

No-Street-Racing

I've been going out to see Cora every other month for a a year and a half now, and frequently see this sign by the Tukwila Mall.


NO RACING
ZONE
BETWEEN
10 PM AND 5AM

RACING ATTENDACE
PROHIBITED

T.M.C 872


I've always been perplexed by this.  Based on the sign, it seems to imply that street racing is not permitted at night, when this section of town should be mostly empty.  And therefore, it must be perfectly legal during the daylight hours when granny is taking the kids to get some more piercing at Claire's.

Turns out, no, they are not sponsoring their own version of "Death Race 2010".  Street racing is illegal all hours of the day.  (Drat!) The sign, according to our friends at KOMO 4 News, is designed to help police target not just the racers (who probably have faster cars than the cops, and can out run them), but also the attendees, who, most likely, are not in vehicles at the time, making them far easier to catch.  [Link to Q&A]


For some reason, Washington state legal proceedings have been on my mind recently. :-)

4 comments:

SkylersDad said...

I think the sign should read "No Death Racing" instead of No Racing Zone.

It has more impact that way!

Cora said...

Maybe I'm naive, but I just can't imagine THAT particular stretch of road to really be a racing magnet in the first place. Those signs have perplexed me for years.

J.J. in L.A. said...

As a kid, I lived on a windy road and you wouldn't believe the obnoxious people who took THAT as a sign to street race.

And I heard about some of the stupid WA laws. Grr!

Moooooog35 said...

Fine.

I'll just race this thing near the playground, then.