2009-02-26

Car Wars Episode IV - A New Scope‏


That's probably the best blog post title I will EVER have. I regret that this post is NOT going to live up to it. But, since this is the bonus episode of the trilogy, I must say, "May the FOURTH be with you!"

The tan Taurus was the first car I bought on my own. (Technically, the Dasher was in my Mom's name). It was the best car I could get for $150 a month. It was only a couple of years old, and had been in a rental fleet. The car had plenty of interior room, a roomy trunk, and a sluggish 4 cylinder engine that made me scream at it every day for handling like a drunken hog. But it made up for its poor performance by having crappy gas mileage. Ah, Detroit steel.

But, it was the first car to have my SCOPE 65 plates.

My stint with the Taurus didn't last long, about 3 years before its life as a rental came back to haunt it. The transmission went to hell, and the national transmission repair shop wanted an arm and a leg to fix it. Not a chance. The owner said that he would fix it for a third the cost, but it would only have a 90 day warranty good at his shop only. My choice was him or Victory Auto Wreckers, so I spent the money to get the car fixed up enough to drive, and I drove it to my Accura dealer and traded it in on a NEW '91 Integra. (I had some extra cash laying around for the down payment. It was going to go toward an engagement ring, but my girlfriend decided to become my eX-GirlFriend, rendering that issue was moot). Yes, that car was supposed to be a modern take on the Dasher in my mind.

And it lasted 10 years, and I still miss it. The XGF? Not so much.

16 comments:

Cora said...

"May the FOURTH be with you"!! What was it last time, "weapons of MATH destruction"? Me thinks you are developing a lisp (lithp?!). If you're not careful, I'm going to nickname you 'Cindy' because that's the sort of wise-ath thing I do.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Oh yes, the joys of your first real purchase on your own!
And you look so proud! Nice sled for a young lad with pimp plates!

Sassy Britches said...

I feel like I need to bust out another bugle call to herald the arrival of the new vehicle, especially with all the excitement in the photo!

SkylersDad said...

This story really needed to end with you getting an honor or award in front of all of your adoring fans to a lot of pomp and circumstance like Star Wars III

Mel O said...

My cars have always lasted longer than my exes :) Maybe that's why I trust my car more than I trust men. and my car really hasn't been that reliable lately, so that's really sayin' something! :P

Dr Zibbs said...

Sweet sportscar! And Sexy color too!

Anonymous said...

Awwww...I miss that "first car I ever bought" feeling...

Anonymous said...

A Dasher and a Taurus: 2 proven chick magnets!

Cora said...

Stupid snow. Now they are threatening more tonight and tomorrow. (sniffle.)

J.J. in L.A. said...

My 1st car (used) crapped out on me after a brother drove it 80 miles in 2nd gear.

My 2nd car (used) lasted 10 years.

My 3rd car is the only one I bought new. It's almost 10 years old and has 36,500 miles on it. Yeah, I get around.

Vodka Mom said...

I'm here to kick your ass. (hahaha)

teaching your nephews to swear...sniff, sniff..I'm so proud.

Vodka Mom said...

and a taurus?? for real?

Scope said...

Zibbs - My father's name for the color was actually, "titty pink".

Ellie Mae - And my total lack of game did help matters.

JJ - My current vehicle is 8 years old with 39,700 EXACTLY on is, so I know the feeling.

Vodka Mom - Someone has to teach the kids to do it right. When you drop you peanut butter sandwhich on the ground, a good slow, well enunciated, "son-of-a-BITCH!" expresses your inner emotions so much better than "fiddlesticks!"

Morgan the Muse said...

May the fourth be with you... -.-

I feel so enlightened by reading that.

Fancy Schmancy said...

And also with you...

Love that you got more mileage out of the car than you would have gotten out the XGF! Too funny!

Jo ~ said...

just dropping by to say hi! hope you don't suffer from stranger danger!ha! enjoyed your blog post.