2009-02-17

I've Been Sassed

So, last Friday, I drove down to St. Louis to hit "Taste of Soulard" as a warm-up to the Mardi Gras festivities. It's a little over 300 miles from my place to Gwen's. She's really good people, and a fantastic hostess. But today isn't about Gwen. (Gwen, I'll rave on you later.)

On the way down, I stopped about 2/3 of the way there, and met up with someone else.
Sass. Yes. SASS!

I was running about 30 minutes late due to a slightly late start on my part. It was a beautiful day. Blue sky. Bright sun. More spring than winter. I pulled down a typical street in a typical Midwestern town. I pulled up to a typical house with a typical SUV in the drive.

Nothing was typical for the next 3 hours.

We talked. Told stories. Talked about blogging some. Talked about bloggers a lot. (If you think we might have talked about you, we probably did, but it was all good.) We ate
horseshoes. I didn't get a side of cheese fries to go with them. (Trying to cut back.) We had some frosty beverages. We talked about life.

She has depth and is an interesting woman, with a good soul, a quick smile, and an impish twinkle in her eye. I think maybe there was 30 seconds of silence between us. The conversation just flowed. And we were heading back to her house after lunch, the plates on the car in front of us had the word "SASS" on it. That doesn't just happen.

In a flash, our 3 hours had passed (I had only planned on stopping for an hour and a half) and I needed to get on the road, but didn't want to get on the road. When I pulled into that driveway, I was going to meet an "internet friend." When I left, I was leaving a "friend".

Thanks, Sass. And you were taller than I imagined, and "no" it wasn't the 3" heels.

15 comments:

Sass said...

Rock on, Scope.

Rock. On.

I'm working on my "take" on the whole thing. ;)

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Awwwww, niiice. Hopefully I'll meet you both someday soon!

Caffeine Court said...

I love that Sassy gal. I haven't even met her and I love her.

Glad you guys had a fun "blog date."

Dr Zibbs said...

"An impish smile"? Sounds like a midgit to me. Are you sure it was her?

Just kidding. I know it was her because that "Sass" car in front of you? That person was hired by me.

Cora said...

Weird about the SASS car!! You're right, those things don't just happen, Scope. That God of yours with the sense of humor you'd mentioned, yeah, I think he was at work there, my friend. :-) Sooo, now begs the question, what will the car in front of US say when you meet ME? Hmmm?

Anonymous said...

You're so lucky! I just adore Sass and would love to meet up with her in person someday!

SouthernBelle said...

OooOOoooo!!!

Looooovers!!!!

Morgan the Muse said...

Sounds like fun! And yes, it was very nice this weekend, wasn't it?

Kim said...

Stopping by via Sass's place.

That sandwich sounds good, but the picture of it is not very appetizing!

Sass said...

I sound like a midget, Zibbs?

Seriously?

I'm speechless.

Cora said...

Love the green banner by the way!! :-)

Vodka Mom said...

cool, cool, cool!!!!

Sassy Britches said...

Am jealous! The end.

Lisa said...

Her blog is really great and she sounds just as great in person.

Amy Kate said...

The prospect of meeting Sass has always made me nervous, like a date in person after months of emailing someone long distance. Of course she's as great IRL as in her blog!!
My sis-in-law lives in Springfield, I think next time we're down there I will be bailing out on the family and stalking her... I mean meeting up with her!!