2009-03-11

I'm Proud To Be A Canadian-American Idiot

A topic I have danced around for a while is my 'Canadian-American' label.





My father was born and raised in the greater '
Halbrite / Ralph Metropolitan Area' of Saskatchewan. (Due to urban sprawl, these once distinct community have been absorbed as outer suburbs of 'Greater Weyburn'.) Due to the luck of a very complicated series of events and changes in citizenship rules, when the family stopped ping-ponging between Illinois and Saskatchewan, my father was able to choose his mother's American citizenship, but his full blood sister was, and remained a Canadian citizen for most of her adult life. (She finally changed a few years back.)

I have enough kinfolk scattered all through the wind swept and desolate prairies of Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, and in the lake dotted wasteland on western Ontario that it is a virtual certainty, that I know someone, who knows someone, who knows Poobomber.

I've been using the term 'Canadian-American' for years, mostly because I love how stupid it sounds. After all, you can't be ethnically 'Canadian' and Canadians, living on North America, are 'Americans' so to speak.

But you can have a little fun with your heritage.


We're due for another family reunion in a few years. Hope they let me in the country.

CUPCAKES!
Breast Cake Ever!

Tit for Tat
Jim Carrey's daugher has nice tats.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

You realize that you, like other past Canadians now living in the states, are preprogrammed to breed America out of existence.

Considering you're never bragging about the number of illegitimate babies you have, I'd say you're doing a piss-poor job and we're about ready to recall you to Weyburn, mister.

Cora said...

"Breast Cake Ever," eh? Hee hee.

I dunno, can you imagine cutting that cake at a party? There's no way to cut that fairly. A scuffle would ensue. It would turn into a fight, which would morph into a brawl. Things would get UGLY. Friends would be lost. Still, I suppose it's better than a cake I once saw at a bachelorette party. It was a lonnngggg, hard, exciting-looking cake. Oh yeah. The bride-to-be got up and licked it lengthwise so no-one else could get a piece. So to speak.

Srg said...

I love that Weird Al song! Like you I too am a Canadian-American, although my parents hailed from New Brunswick. So I guess that makes me a French-Canadian-American? In any event, it resulted in growing up speaking a dialect of french that got me into all kinds of trouble once i took the "real" french class in high school.

Sassy Britches said...

I've NEVER thought of Canadians not having an ethnicity! I've thought of the whole "technically we're all Americans" thing, but this is an interesting way of looking at things. As is the Breast Cake. Although my boobs will never look that fabulous, I think I could rock the sparkle belly!

Anonymous said...

When you go to Canada do you see the Ice Road Truckers being filmed? Because I'm pretty sure that would be cool and I would totally travel to Canada to see them but I don't like solid ice so much.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Breast cake ever!!! hee hee, I agree!

Lisa said...

between you and cora I'm cracking up and holding my coffee in over here!

lmao.

words...words...words... said...

Oh, man. In my 7am-just-got-to-work haze, I thought that was a real person and not a cake for a second. Damn.

Also, who knew Jim Carrey had a hot daughter?

. said...

Canada is not so much advertised around the world, like Usa..it sounds more 'misterious'..if you ever travel around the world..say you are American OR Canadian and see which one of them is more 'babe magnet'!!

SkylersDad said...

That Tat is awesome!

Venom said...

Um, if you think Canadians aren't proud of their identity.... you're wrong. & that's offensive.
Since we're so fucking polite we'll forgive you bastards though. You can come up here, but bring the cake.

J.J. in L.A. said...

Saying, "I'm a German-Dutch-American" would be a hassle (and I've never been to Germany or Holland) so I'd just say, "I'm an American" if I ever left the country again. I was in Vancouver, B.C. in 2005 on a cruise.

Soda and Candy said...

Isn't Carrey's daughter a little young for you to be talking about her tats?

; )

Also, I heard that people get pissed off at people from the US calling themselves Americans, since technically everyone on both continents (S. and N. America) is an American. Is that true?

Morgan the Muse said...

That's a cake? No way. It looks like styrofoam.

And I stylize myself as a misplaced Arizonan.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

My hubs just walked by in time to see the Breast Cake and is now your biggest fan!