2009-03-21

Saturday Morning Randomness

Well here I sit. As I start this, it's 3:00 am. I'm a little tired, but not bad, honestly.

Background – I work in I.T. (Information Technology) for an international law firm. Once a month, we get to do work that would be disruptive if done during the standard workday. We call these "maintenance windows." All the offices have slightly different times for their windows.

So, I had to start working on Europe at 1:00 am my time, wrapped that up, and now I'm waiting to start Asia in about an hour or so. That should take an hour and a half if all goes well (knock wood), then I can crawl into bed at 5:30 am or 6:00 am, depending, for a couple hours of sleep. Luckily, the other person left on my team is covering the Saturday evening chores when the US needs done.

After work, I met up with some friends and had a few beers at "InFields." It was a sports bar "In Marshall Fields" with a baseball theme. Cute. "InMacys" just doesn't have the same ring. Suck it, rat bastards for changing the name.

Anyway, it closes at 8:00 pm (an hour before the store does) so I got home 9ish and took a 3 hour nap (alarms set for 12:34 am!) and then began my work.

At 3:00 the world is fairly quiet. The gentle hum of the fridge, occasionally the whoosh of a passing car. The dog that lives above the bakery next door was having a FIT a while ago, but has since calmed down. Nothing to really disturb the mood.

I keep thinking of things I should be doing now. Sleeping. Paying bills. Sleeping. Unloading / loading the dishwasher. Sleeping. Folding laundry. Sleeping. But I'm writing a completely random-assed babbling post, instead. YEAH PROCRATINATION!

11 comments:

J.J. in L.A. said...

I'm awake til 3-3:30 am every night...that's why I miss all the good conversations here early in the morning.

Bea said...

well it's 8:54 here so if i was too comment you at 8:00 your time, i'd have to be up at one. and whats the bet i still wouldn't be first. aarrrggg.
i love that you say 'get to'. like you have the choice of being up at three lol
and how cool is it, you go to Europe and Asia while sitting at your computer desk. bring me back a snow globe!

mo.stoneskin said...

It has just occurred to me. Maybe the dog was having a FIT because the gentle hum of the fridge was driving it mad.

So presumably now you are actually working, not reading this comment.

Scope said...

It's 7:00 am and I'm done for the night and heading to bed.

Sassy Britches said...

Sweet dreams Scope!

SkylersDad said...

I feel your pain Scope. I used to be a sys-admin on a whole bunch of Sun and HP servers, and we got to do everything between 2 and 4 AM.

Cora said...

When I was in college I worked at Toys R Us one Christmas season. They kept us there until 4am cleaning and restocking the store after it closed at midnight. And we started work again at 8am!! Not fun.

They tried to get me to come back to work for them the following Christmas. I told them where they could stick it.

Cowguy said...

I just hauled in to call you "Mandoll".

lol something bout that kills me.

Lordy.

Morgan the Muse said...

sounds like... fun... I actually went to bed at that time. Interesting.

Cora said...

*laughing at Cowguy* :-)

Sorry, Scope. Looks like you'll NEVER live this down, Man Doll.

J.J. in L.A. said...

I like Man Doll. It's better than my cousin's boyfriend's nickname, BUD. It stood for Blow Up Doll because we didn't think he existed. Now that we've met him, it's still BUD...Butt Ugly Dude.

So wear Man Doll proudly, Scope! And be glad you're not a BUD. ; )