2009-03-24

Tech Tuesday - On The Razor's Edge

Nobody puts Atra in a cornerIn my 100-4-100 post, I mentioned how much I hated replacing technology that was still viable, just because something newer and cooler came along.

079 - *I have a hard time replacing technology that still works. I was very upset when my answering machine of 15 years died, because they don't make ones that use two full sized cassette tapes anymore. Other say I'm cheap.

Case in point, my razor. No, not a
Motorola Razr, but the thing I use to shave 3 times a week: my Atra. Yes, the Gillette Atra is a 32 year old design of a pivoting head 2 blade razor. I love mine. I've had that handle since I was 21. It has, heft. It's a solid bit of stainless steel. It’s a tool. Not a light weight plastic toy.

And the blades are starting to get harder and harder to find.

Would it be insane of me to buy a crate of them? I mean really, I shave 3 times a week. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Sometimes on Saturdays, if I have a date. (So like I said, 3 times a week.) I replace a blade every couple of months (the Van Dyke cuts down on the area I have to shave, too.) So, 50 packages of blades should do it. At $6 a pack, that's only $300. And it's not like I won't be buying razor blades anyway, right?

I could switch to one of those 5 blade Fusion razor with 6 blades. But I'd still be buying blades for it, until a 6 blade razor with 8 blades or some crap like that comes along. I'm not a
Luddite, but seriously. Can't good enough be good enough?

(And yes, that's my razor, chillin' in the corner.)

18 comments:

Cora said...

Do it. Stock up. It's like when Candy and I were talking about lipgloss. She told me to stock up with enough of my favorite one to last me through a nuclear war before they stop making it (because they always stop making the good stuff!!) and she was right. It's getting harder and harder to find already. Whenever I run into it, I stock the heck right up! So, there you go. You go hoard razors and I'll hoard lipgloss and then we can both relax. :-)

Sassy Britches said...

I've had my MEN'S Schick Tracer since my senior year in high school. I got it as a gift from my best friend-who-is-also-a-boy. They have stopped selling the blades at CVS but occasionally I can find them at the box store that starts with a W (yes, I somtimes must break down and go there). I have purchased their entire stock whenever I see it. So, yes, GO FOR IT. You never know...

Sass said...

I wish I had stocked up on this Clean and Clear shampoo I used in high school. I loved it. Cheap, but it smelled so good.

I was in a "Hudson's Treasure Hunt Store," in Waveland, Mississippi pre-Katrina, and I found literally CASES of Clean and Clear shampoo...

And.
I.
Didn't.
Buy.
Any.

That's a sad, sad, Sass.

Soda and Candy said...

Do it. Just make sure the blades are protected from rusting.

My husband always wanted one of those super old strap razor sets with the brush... now THAT'S old school.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Yeah, stock it up dude,whenever you can. I can tell you this-do NOT get rid of your old razor handle.
A weighted shave is coming back into fashion. The Art Of Shaving, sells fancy accessories and products for shaving. Their razor handles (which are heavy) cost an upwards of $75.00 or higher-and the cheaper ones are plastic, but weighted.
The weighted shave takes the pressure off the blade and creates balance, resulting in a close, but more efficient shave.

And hold onto that razor-Gillette may pay you one day for the antique.

Ms. Florida Transplant said...

I agree - stock up. They don't make things like they used to.

SkylersDad said...

Buying all of those blades is inviting karma tragedy into your life. As soon as you make that investment, your doctor will inform you that you have a rare case of under cheek skin alien worms and you can't ever shave again!

Anonymous said...

It's one of my biggest peeeves when some company discontinues accessories for some still perfectly good gadget or tool.

I still have my first generation iPod which doesn't even have a docking port and runs through a firewire cable. It also has buttons. That you PRESS. Works perfectly and has never let me down yet I can no longer find ANY DAMN THING compatible with it even though it's from 2000 not 1980. I finally gave in and got a new ipod that will play in the car or a speaker dock and charge anywhere, but I begrudged it. The old one works fine.

Bah humbug!

mo.stoneskin said...

I only shave once a week. And I do it badly. Doesn't cost much. Apart from all the plasters (band aids for those Americans who don't get 'plaster') and cotton wool.

Anonymous said...

I know how to use a straight razor. I could give you a really close shave...

Morgan the Muse said...

Well, the razor looks more classy than newer ones do...

Scope said...

Wow!! ||_| !! I really expected this to go the other way. I was really expecting everyone to tell me I was nuts and to get with the program.

I think I may do some stocking up.

Tom said...

I once got a free 4 blade razor in the mail and I couldn't believe how nice the shave was, but there is no way I'm going to pay $14 for a couple of the new fangled ones. I just buy the cheapest twin blade disposable ones I can find. Stick with the old school as long as you can.

Scope said...

Chaka - If your avatar is any indication, the razor isn't working!

Cora said...

*hee hee hee* Scope, your last comment here just slayed me!

J.J. in L.A. said...

One word...

Ebay.

MJenks said...

See, I prefer the three blade razors. Not so much for cost or closeness of shave, but because then I can pretend that Wolverine is shaving my face.

Nej said...

If it works, if you love it, and it makes you happy....buy a case. Buy 2 cases!