2009-03-04

Left Holding The Bag

Went out for a few and then a few more after work last night, got home, smashed, had a good long talk with a friend. Then took my drunk ass to bed. Totally forgot to write something up for this morning.

So, we're at the bar at the final wrap up stage. The group is old enough that we're all trying to make sure we put in plenty for the tab, and the guy with the credit card is trying not to make $100 off the deal. He signs off and heads out the door for his 9:40 train. Miss it and he's on a 10:40 train facing a PISSED OFF wife when he gets home.

So, 5 of us are milling around, the manager I work for, the manager everyone THINKS I work for, a guy who I used to work with and will be starting at my New Co. with in a week and a half, and his boss at Old Co. Yes, the Chicago legal IT world is so tight that you can have a "good bye" party and a "welcome" party wrapped in one, and the people who like each other and get along will show up and talk shop and bitch with people who deeply understand the issue, and the asshole stay away. Especially since there are like 15 people from Old Co working at New Co and everyone left on good terms.

We look down, and someone had left their backpack (not nearly as stylish as my
murse, but with about the same crap). After digging thru it and finding out that it belonged to the guy who was running the tab, cell phones get pulled, and they call him. They were hoping he had his keys, and they would just give it to him in the morning.

And his cell phone in the backpack started ringing.

Just as we were dialing his wife to let her know that we had it and for him not to panic, he showed up, got the bag, and hopped back in the cab to race for the train.

I and 2 others piled into a passing cab and cruised on back home.

17 comments:

Sassy Britches said...

Poor sap; hope he doesn't have to sleep on the couch. Especially since he was being all nice about being the credit card dude.

Srg said...

See, that's why guys shouldn't carry murses. They end up falling into the same trap that every woman has gotten herself into at one time or another. Someone is trying to get in touch with him/her, but the cell phone is in the purse, or murse, or backpack, etc...

And I totally understand the whole IT world thing. The insurance IT industry over here is just as incestuous cause most of us have bounced around from company to company.

Cora said...

Flying by the seat on your pants today, are you? That's called blogging in Cora style!! You just sit there, stare at the screen and then spill it. Whatever happens happens. How does it feel?

Sass said...

This post is also written in true Sass-form. I'm proud of you.

And I don't have to laugh at you today for planning it all in advance.

See? Being human is okay.

Ms. Florida Transplant said...

You mean you don't write 10 post one weekend and gradually have them scheduled to post over the next 2 weeks?? Slacker.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Been there, done that. Glad to see it's not just the women who tend to be slightly scatter brained after a few.

Candy's daily Dandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Real Live Lesbian said...

Ain't nothin' worse than facing a pissed off wife. :)

Hope she doesn't make him start carrying his wallet and keys in his pants.

Gwen said...

Please tell me you took gross pictures with his phone while you had it.

SkylersDad said...

I was going to ask the same thing Gwen! That is the price of leaving any phone or camera unattended with my crowd. Lots of pictures of good looking women for the husband to try and explain, or if no good looking women are available, pictures of "junk".

Scope said...

The phone was locked.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Oh Scope...a murse...I just posted a Bag Tag today and gave a shout out to the murse...I knew some awesome guy out there had one in Blogland...

What a trooper...that you can blog after a drunken night out...

Alex Galvez said...

I pray for your 40-something liver!!

J.J. in L.A. said...

Does it say something about me, that I actually a murse? It's black too and I love it!

Scope, I need a man's opinion on my latest blog. So can you go over there and answer the question I posed?

J.J. in L.A. said...

I need a brain transplant. I meant to say 'I actually own a murse'.

Bea said...

i missed a train once. i RAN up 3 STEEP flights of stairs and down one flight, ran all the way across the platform to the ticket man and he barely looked up to tell me the train had gone.

i hate that man.

sorry the relevance of this comment has momentarily been forgotten. it's now more like a game, find the relevance! ;)

(i'm trying to match you for comment length lol)

love from wilwarin

Lisa said...

Bag, phone, whatever... we apparently hang with similar drunks who can't keep their stuff together. lol

totally lifted your idea for myself and loved your commment. ;) too funny.