2009-03-17

Tech Tuesday - Kicking Acer / Taking Names

So, last week I told you that I bought a little Acer AspireOne netbook.

1GB RAM
160GB Hard Drive
802.11b/g Wi-Fi Network
10.1" WSVGA CrystalBrite Display
XP Home Edition
$349.99

I have it set up now on my wireless network, but I have yet to get folder / drive sharing up and running between this device and my main computer. Yes, I am using it to hammer out this little blog post. Here’s a quick review:

Pluses:
- Light weight - About 3 lbs.
- Small - It fits in my murse with plenty of room to spare.
- 6 hour battery
- Enough power for web surfing, e-mail, streaming YouTube videos, etc.

Minuses:
- The 10.1 screen is small.
- The keyboard is touch undersized. Fine for web surfing, but I would hook up a real keyboard for serious work.
- I hate touchpads. Have to hook up a portable mouse with it most of the time.
- No CD-ROM drive. Can make installing software more difficult it you haven’t set up the CD-ROM drives on your tower for sharing yet.

All in all, if you need a second or third machine around the house, or something for the kids (smaller hands, smaller keyboard) to do web stuff, not a bad choice. Nice price point. If you are looking for a primary machine? No. Get a full strength laptop.

12 comments:

Cora said...

Hee hee. "Kicking Acer / Taking Names" ~ you crack me up.

Good review! It was acers. (ba da dum) (wink) As my kid gets older, she'll need a 'puter for school, and that's a price I could handle, so, hmmm, might just keep that in mind.

Scope said...

As long as you have wireless at home, they are great for students. Most of their software they just download anyway. I just want to get my copy of Office 2003 installed (and ditch the Office 2007 free trial that's on here.)

But, I could totally go the Google Docs route and not worry about it, too.

And at the price, that's 3 of these for one broken / stolen laptop.

Plus, also good for traveling light.

Sassy Britches said...

I like all of the pluses, especially since I have little hands and fingers. Although, I like me a good-sized screen, so that might be its downfall. I love Tech Tuesdays; I find out so much!

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Good advice-you know I'm in the market for a new computer for Frack. Like this week..let's discuss this further.

MJenks said...

Ugh. I hate touch pads, too. Especially while I'm trying to edit things and I have whole big chunks of text I need to highlight. Pain in the rear. And not the good kind, either.

SkylersDad said...

That is a pretty low price, hard to believe how much laptops have come down.

Venom said...

Congrats on the big 5-0 there Scope.

J.J. in L.A. said...

I hate touch pads too, but I loved my Acer! I'm tellin' ya, Scope - 11 years. ; )

And thanks for playing along! I'm looking forward to your list. My favorite one is the 'gag reflex'. I don't think anyone got the insinuation "among other things".

Scope said...

JJ - Oh, we got it. ;-)

J.J. in L.A. said...

Good to know. lol!

Fancy Schmancy said...

Bummer, I was hoping I could upgrade the kid and take his hard drive. As his fingers are twice as long as mine, and his needs twice as large as mine, I guess we're going to have to go buy a new computer if one or more of us want to actually be productive!

Morgan the Muse said...

Heh, I had this image of this huge guy hunkered over this tiny little thing, trying to type an email. xD